Category : Obstetrics & Gynecology
The Midwife’s Labour and Birth Handbook, 3rd Edition (Original PDF from Publisher)
Edition : 3
Format : Publisher PDF
File Size : 22.3 MB
ISBN : 9780470655139
Vicky Chapman (Author), Cathy Charles (Author)
Praise for previous editions:
“An excellent resource for both student midwives and qualified staff alike.” (Alison James, Midwifery Lecturer, Plymouth University)
"A lovely book with a lot of practical advice and easy to navigate. (Jayne Samples, Midwifery Lecturer, University of Huddersfield)
This fully revised and updated third edition of The Midwife’s Labour and Birth Handbook is a practical and accessible guide to midwifery care.
It addresses important questions such as:
- Why are women being pressured into caesarean section for breech presentation when the evidence is equivocal?
- If a baby needs assisted ventilation breaths at birth, why not bring the ambubag to the baby and leave the cord intact so the baby can benefit from the extra maternal oxygen supply?
- Why is skin-to-skin contact at birth so rarely offered to preterm babies when there is evidence of benefit?
This well-regarded text promotes normality and woman-centred care, using research, evidence-based guidelines and anecdotal accounts from women. It challenges practice and guidelines which are biased or based on poor evidence. Guidance is offered on how to deal with difficult, sometimes controversial, situations.
The Midwife's Labour and Birth Handbook 3rd edition is an essential guide for both student midwives and experienced practising midwives.
New to this edition:
- Full colour photographs including a kneeling breech birth
- Suturing diagrams to assist left-handed midwives.
- Expanded chapters on slow progress in labour and malposition/malpresentations, including a rare photograph of a face presentation birth.
- Paperback: 412 pages
- Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell; 3 edition (April 1, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470655135
- ISBN-13: 978-0470655139
- ISBN-13: 9780470655139
- eText ISBN: 9781118480090
- eText ISBN: 9781299159129
- eText ISBN: 9781118480106