Category : Psychiatrics
by Michael T. Compton (Editor), Marc Manseau (Editor)
The Complex Connections between Cannabis and Schizophrenia provides an in-depth overview of the current state of research into the role that cannabis plays in schizophrenia, covering both the pathophysiological and the pharmacological implications. It addresses the epidemiology of cannabis use and the risks associated with its use, the biological aspects of the drug, its effects on the brain and the pharmacological possibilities of using cannabidiol to treat schizophrenia.
It is the only book on the market devoted exclusively to examining the links between this very commonly used (and misused) drug and a specific set of devastating psychiatric illnesses, providing a comprehensive guide to our current understandings of this relationship.
Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug globally, and is becoming increasingly decriminalized and even legalized worldwide. Among the numerous mental-health concerns related to the drug, there is mounting evidence of an intricate link between cannabis use and schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders. At the same time, there is promising evidence to suggest that cannabidiol, one of the many compounds found in cannabis that activates the brain’s cannabinoid receptors, could prove to be an effective antipsychotic to treat schizophrenia.
- Synthesizes existing knowledge about the confusing, but crucial, relationship between cannabis use and schizophrenia symptoms
- Provides a comprehensive overview of the neurobiological mechanisms of cannabis use and its effects on the brain, including an exploration of the endocannabinoid system
- Examines the promising evidence suggesting cannabidiol as an effective antipsychotic treatment for schizophrenia
- Aids readers studying the neurobiological underpinning of cannabis addiction and psychosis in determining directions for their own future research
- Paperback: 362 pages
- Publisher: Academic Press; 1 edition (September 9, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0128047917
- ISBN-13: 978-0128047910
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.9 x 9 inches