By Jennifer Cleland, Steven J. Durning
RESEARCHING MEDICAL EDUCATION
Researching Medical Education is an authoritative guide to excellence in educational research within the healthcare professions presented by the Association for the Study of Medical Education and AMEE. This text provides readers with key foundational knowledge, while introducing a range of theories and how to use them, illustrating a diversity of methods and their use, and giving guidance on practical researcher development. By linking theory, design, and methods across the spectrum of health professions education research, the text supports the improvement of quality, capacity building, and knowledge generation.
Researching Medical Education includes contributions from experts and emerging researchers from five continents. The text includes information on:
- Developing yourself and your practice as a health professions education researcher
- Methods and methodologies including ethnography/digital ethnography, visual methods, critical discourse analysis, functional and corpus linguistics, critical pedagogy, critical race theory and participatory action research, and educational neuroscience methods
- Theories including those where relationships between context, environment, people and things matter (e.g., complexity theory, activity theory, sociomateriality, social cognitive theories and participatory practice) and those which are more individually focused (e.g., health behaviour theories, emotions in learning, instructional design, cognitive load theory and deliberate practice)
- Includes 10 brand new chapters
Researching Medical Education is the ideal resource for anyone researching health professions education, from medical school to postgraduate training to continuing professional development.
“This is an extraordinary text that combines theory and practice in medical education research. The authors represent the who’s who of medical education research, and their wisdom and insights will help guide novice and experienced researchers alike.” ―David M. Irby, Professor Emeritus of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
“Research in health professions education is maturing. This is clearly evidenced by the second edition of Researching Medical Education. In 30 chapters this book takes you on an exciting voyage on research theories and research methodologies. This book is a comprehensive resource for anyone engaging in research in health professions education.” ― Cees van der Vleuten, former Director of the School of Health Professions Education, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
- Publisher : Wiley-Blackwell; 2nd edition (February 28, 2023)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 368 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1119839416
- ISBN-13 : 978-1119839415