Category : Toxicology
By John Timbrell, Frank A. Barile
As with the previous editions, Introduction to Toxicology, Fourth Edition, continues to chart the evolution of the field of toxicology, from the use of natural toxins by ancient tribes through the developments established by Paracelsus, and progresses through to the current topics in the public interest. For centuries, the study of toxicology has fascinated students. The book begins with basic toxicological principles, including an historical summary, dose-response relationships (NEW chapter), exposure-response relationships (NEW chapter), disposition, and metabolism of xenobiotic toxic substances. Other important new chapters include target organ toxicity, toxicity of carcinogenic agents and new and updated concepts in toxicity testing, and antidotes and treatment of poisonings. In all, nine new or expanded chapters from the third edition are advanced.
Current concerns about the effects of therapeutic drugs, carcinogens, industrial toxins, pesticides, and herbicides on human health, animal welfare, and the stability and maintenance of the ecosystem continue to highlight toxicology as an important and growing scientific discipline.
- Comprehensive coverage of the field of toxicology which illustrates its importance to and impact on society
- Uses pertinent examples, tables, and diagrams to aid understanding with learning objectives, summaries, questions, and answers for each chapter
- Clearly and concisely written and presented concepts for easy comprehension by toxicology, biomedical, and health science students
- Examines the complex interactions associated with toxicological events
- Covers the effect of toxins on biological and physiological systems
This book successfully condenses the diffuse literature in the field into an accessible and readable text, made easier with the insertion of many tables and figures. It introduces fundamental concepts and builds upon these using topical and relevant historical examples. Its improved format includes learning objectives and summaries of each chapter, as well as questions and answers suitable for self-assessment.
This latest edition is an invaluable resource for undergraduate and graduate toxicology students, as well as an introductory text for other health care students and professionals. The book also functions as a comprehensive introductory reference text for environmental scientists, medical biologists and chemists, chemical engineers, and regulatory agencies, with interests in toxicologically related areas.
- Publisher : CRC Press; 4th edition (February 27, 2023)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 316 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1032036923
- ISBN-13 : 978-1032036922
ISBN978-1032036922, 9781000834468, 1032036990, 1032036923, 1003188575, 9781032036991, 9781032036922, 9781003188575