Category : General Internal Medicine Internal Medicine
How the NIH Can Help You Get Funded: An Insider’s Guide to Grant Strategy (Original PDF from Publisher)
Edition : 1
Format : Publisher PDF
File Size : 12.4 MB
ISBN : 9780199989645 0199989648 9780199989669 0199989664
by Michelle L. Kienholz, Jeremy M. Berg
How the NIH Can Help You Get Funded takes a novel, non-formulaic approach in teaching readers how to "write a grant" — and much more. The authors draw on their decades of experience working with both investigators and NIH personnel to anticipate their questions and concerns and help establish a comfortable, productive partnership between them.
With this book's focus on applying this knowledge to their personal grant strategy, readers will learn:
· how the NIH operates at the corporate level, as well as the culture and policies of individual institutes and centers
· how the NIH budget evolves over the course of a fiscal year and why the timing is important
· how to customize NIH Web site searches and use the data to increase chances of success
· how to identify appropriate program officers, study sections, and funding opportunities
The authors advise readers on developing each component of the grant application in order of the components' influence on the final impact score. Individual funding mechanisms are reviewed along with grantsmanship tips specific to each. Readers learn the importance of reviewer-friendly formatting and organization of the text.
The final chapters cover next steps after the application has been submitted-before, during, and after the review and funding decision. Strategies for resubmitting or repurposing applications are provided for those readers whose applications do not receive awards. The authors likewise anticipate the needs of readers who do receive funding but have questions on managing and maintaining their award.
Amid ever-increasing competition for government research grants, How the NIH Can Help You Get Funded is an invaluable manual for how to pursue — and sustain — NIH funding.
- ISBN-13: 9780199989645
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Publication date: 12/26/2013
- Pages: 224
ISBN9780199989645, 0199989648, 9780199989669, 0199989664