Category : Head and Neck Surgery
By Javier Gavilan, Alejandro Castro, Laura Rodrigánez, Jesus Herranz-González
Illuminating neck dissection resource presents innovative techniques and insightful clinical pearls!
This updated second edition of Functional and Selective Neck Dissection by Javier Gavilán, Alejandro Castro, Laura Rodrigáñez, and Jesús Herranz presents a unique point of view based on fascial dissection techniques developed by several generations of renowned surgeons at La Paz University Hospital. The book lays a foundation with in-depth discussion of fascial compartmentalization of the neck. The text covers the evolution of modern neck dissection, from George Crile in 1906 to current cutting-edge procedures, and details the transition from radical neck dissection to a less aggressive, equally effective approach for treating lymph node metastases in head and neck cancer.
The relationship between functional and selective neck dissection is discussed from a pragmatic and nonconventional perspective, elucidating the connection from historical, anatomic, and surgical standpoints. The authors differentiate conceptual approaches, keystones in the evolution of scientific knowledge from surgical techniques, technical variations of a standard procedure designed to most effectively resolve a problem. The primary goal is providing the reader with expert guidance on a full spectrum of fundamental surgical techniques.
- Sequential operative photographs of actual procedures performed by the authors complemented by stellar illustrations further understanding of techniques
- Less radical operations discussed from American and Latin perspectives, ensuring a complete picture and integration of well-rounded best practices
- A chapter dedicated to hints and pitfalls offers insightful technical advice and precautions acquired through decades of practice
- Frequently asked questions and answers afford key insights on important surgical decisions, while suggested readings provide additional helpful materials
This is an indispensable resource for practicing head and neck surgeons who treat patients with malignant tumors. Otorhinolaryngology, general surgery, and plastic surgery residents will also find it an invaluable source of information.
- Publisher : Thieme; 2nd edition (June 22, 2020)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 136 pages
- ISBN-10 : 3132419532
- ISBN-13 : 978-3132419537