By Inna Itskovich, Megan Meyer, Miriam Shaffer
Whether you’re working with a new student and don’t know where to begin, or you have a long-term client and you’re feeling stuck, Treatment Companion: A Speech-Language Pathologist’s Intervention Guide for Students With Developmental Delays and Disorders provides ideas and strategies for a variety of common language goals. Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) often face the challenge of adapting interventions to meet the needs of students with severe or complex disorders and diagnoses. As seasoned clinicians, the authors fuse their real-world experience with up-to-date research to create a robust road map for customizing SLP intervention strategies.
User friendly and straightforward, the Treatment Companion offers a conversational approach to identifying options and goals that meet students where they are, whether they are visual or kinesthetic learners, oral speakers or AAC users, engaged or distracted, from birth to age 21. With easy-to-navigate headings, examples, and visuals, this guide can be consulted on an as-needed basis. The suggestions and strategies are accessible and innovative, often not requiring any specialized supplies to implement.
The Treatment Companion offers both novice and experienced clinicians a valuable tool to support their clients in achieving the highest level of communication possible.
- Language goals are divided into four levels that are aligned with developmental milestones
- Detailed figures feature examples of intervention resources and strategies (color versions provided on the companion website)
- Steps Toward Mastery outlines a progression for guiding students to mastery of a goal, from introduction of a skill to achieving independence and generalizing the skill
- Activities in Treatment offers suggestions for working on skills through specific therapy activities
- Demystifying Augmentative and Alternative Communication appendix provides an approachable overview and example scenarios for those new to AAC
- Publisher : Plural Publishing Inc.; First Edition (May 5, 2023)
- Language : English
- ISBN-10 : 1635504813
- ISBN-13 : 978-1635504811