by Terry Mahan Buttaro, Joann Trybulski, Patricia Polgar Bailey, Joanne Sandberg-Cook
Written by and for Nurse Practitioners from a unique collaborative perspective, Primary Care: A Collaborative Practice, 4th Edition, prepares you to provide care for all of the major disorders of adults seen in the outpatient setting. Evidence-based content reflects the latest guidelines for primary care of hundreds of conditions, including hypertension, diabetes, and sexually transmitted infections. Now in full color, the 4th Edition includes chapters on emerging topics such as genetics, obesity, lifestyle management, and emergency preparedness. Combining a special blend of academic and clinical expertise, the author team provides a practical text/reference that promotes a truly collaborative primary care practice.
• Comprehensive, evidence-based content incorporates the latest standardized guidelines for primary care in today's fast-paced, collaborative environment.
• Unique! A collaborative perspective, reflecting the key roles of NPs, MDs, PAs, PharmDs, and others, promotes seamless continuity of care.
• A consistent format from chapter to chapters facilitates learning and clinical reference value.
• Diagnostics and Differential Diagnosis boxes provide a quick reference for diagnosing disorders and helping to develop effective management plans.
• Physician Consultation icons highlight situations or conditions in which consultation is either recommended or necessary.
• Emergency Referral icons identify signs and symptoms that indicate the need for immediate referral to an emergency facility.
• Co-management with Specialists discussions help you provide truly collaborative care in the outpatient setting.
• Complementary and alternative therapies are addressed where supported by solid research evidence.
• NEW Inclusion of evidence-based guidelines for such topics as hypertension, diabetes, advanced cardiac life support, coronary artery disease, and sexually transmitted infections equips you to provide state-of-the-science primary care in these key areas.
• An expanded emphasis on caring for the elderly, italicized for easy identification, equips you to provide high-quality care for our aging population.
• NEW Obesity and Weight Management chapter explores the causes of and risk factors for obesity, and provides in-depth strategies for its management and prevention.
• NEW Genetic Considerations in Primary Care chapter helps you look at primary care with a genetic perspective, focusing on risk assessment, family history-taking, and direct-to-consumer genetic testing.
• NEW Lifestyle Management chapter offers guidelines for helping patients to increase their quality and length of life through nutrition and diet, smoking cessation, avoidance of lifestyle-related illnesses, and curbing domestic violence.
• NEW Emergency Preparedness, Recognition, and Response in Primary Care chapter addresses the emerging role of primary care providers in responding to outbreaks, pandemics, and disasters.
• NEW Neuropsychological Evaluation chapter explains when to refer patients with cognitive difficulties for neuropsychological testing.
• NEW Environmental Allergies chapter addresses increasingly common allergy complaints.
• NEW full-color design makes the text easier to read and easier to use, with key assessment findings shown in true-to-life color photos.
• Expanded The Changing Landscape of Collaboratve Practice chapter covers new partners in collaborative practice (DPTs and PharmDs), new venues for collaborative practice (such as retail health), and the future of collaborative practice (including health care reform, the patient-centered medical home, telehealth, and electronic medical records).
• Expanded Health Literacy, Health Care Disparities, and Culturally Competent Care chapter includes a section on health care disparities in the treatment of patients with diabetes and LGBT patients.
• Expanded Principles of Geriatric Primary Care and Common Geriatric Syndromes chapter provides greater emphasis on the care of older adults, including additional information on advance directives.
- ISBN-13: 9780323075015
- Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date: 5/15/2012
- Edition description: New Edition
- Edition number: 4
- Pages: 1424
ISBN0323075010, 9780323075015, 978-0323075015