By Tate Higgins, Ali S. Arastu, Paul S. Auerbach MD MS FACEP MFAWM FAAEM
For nearly 40 years, Medicine for the Outdoors: The Essential Guide to First Aid and Medical Emergencies has been the take-along manual of choice for anyone venturing into the mountains, forest, desert, or on water. This essential guide provides highly illustrated, easy-to-follow guidance on immediate stabilization and treatment of persons with virtually any possible medical problem―designed for on-the-spot use when higher-level medical care is not accessible. Written by experts in outdoor medicine, this updated edition helps you manage any situation until medical personnel can take over.
- Covers key information on a wide range of disorders related to specific environments, including natural disasters, high-altitude problems, water-related incidents, heat- and cold-related illnesses, and wildland fires.
- Provides easy-to-understand recommendations for dealing with animal attacks, venomous wildlife, wild plant and mushroom poisoning, minor and major medical problems, infectious diseases, water disinfection, and severe bleeding.
- Discusses key topics, including antibiotics, medicines, opioid overdose treatment, wound closure techniques, severe bleeding, spinal assessment and immobilization, tourniquets, the use of a Gamow bag for severe altitude illness, splinting, dental emergencies, disaster preparedness, global conflict guidelines, canine medicine, today’s infectious disease threats, and much more.
- Includes up-to-date guidelines, even more helpful illustrations and diagrams, and a new chapter: Patient Assessment: A Structured Approach to Emergencies in the Outdoors.
- Includes advanced topics valuable to physicians and expedition medical staff at all levels of training and experience.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
- Publisher : Elsevier; 7th edition (February 23, 2023)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 576 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0323680569
- ISBN-13 : 978-0323680561