This course is designed for early career professionals with an interest in congestive heart failure, cardiac
transplantation, and mechanical circulatory support. Each section is designed with focused, didactic lectures
followed by Q&A. The first section will cover the general topics of heart failure – definitions, epidemiology,
pathophysiology, and etiology. It will then move to signs and symptoms, diagnostic process and management,
and treatment modalities, followed by a focus on the acute decompensated heart – challenges in recognition
and treatment, as well as new developments. The second section will review updates in the understanding
and treatment of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction HFpEF, and pulmonary hypertension with an
emphasis on its relationship with heart failure. The third section will encompass the cardiac transplant patient,
from evaluation of the recipient candidate and donor to perioperative management principles, immunology,
immunosuppression, rejection and common long-term challenges. The final section will review the history and
development of mechanical circulatory support and management of common complications.
While all members are invited to enroll, this course is primarily designed to benefit health care professionals
who are in the early stages of their careers, are in training, are part of a new program, or who desire an
update on the current state of the field. The information presented is intended to provide a strong foundation
of the core competencies of heart failure, cardiac transplantation and mechanical circulatory support, rather
than as a detailed update for those who are already proficient in the field.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will have improved competence and professional performance
in their ability to:
1. Understand the general concepts, definitions and management principles of patients with heart failure.
2. Understand the general concepts, indications, contraindications and management principles of patients
who are evaluated for and receive cardiac transplant.
3. Understand the general concepts, indications, contraindications and management principles of patients
who are evaluated for, and receive mechanical circulatory support devices.
- SESSION 1 HEART FAILURE
- SESSION 2 MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC HFrEF
- SESSION 3 ACUTE DECOMPENSATED HEART FAILURE
- SESSION 4 HFPEF AND PULMONARY HYPERTENSION
- SESSION 5 HEART TRANSPLANTATION 101
- SESSION 6 MECHANICAL CIRCULATORY SUPPORT
- SESSION 7 CASE PRESENTATIONS
Date of Release : April 10, 2018