Category : Audiology
By Stanley A. Gelfand, Lauren Calandruccio
The quintessential core textbook for audiology and speech-language pathology students
Essentials of Audiology, Fifth Edition by renowned audiology and hearing science experts Stanley A. Gelfand and Lauren Calandruccio has been updated to incorporate advances and changes in the field of audiology that have occurred since the publication of the prior edition. These include advances in audiological diagnosis and intervention in such areas as electrophysiological assessment, pediatric evaluation, cochlear implants, speech perception, hearing aids, and related technologies. The text has also been updated to reflect revised clinical guidelines, expert position papers, current systematic reviews, and standards and regulations that affect clinical practice. In addition to the reader-friendly text for which the book is well-known, the new edition actively embraces diversity with features such as non-gendered language (e.g., singular they) and more inclusive photographs and drawings.
This textbook provides a comprehensive overview of audiology at the introductory level with discussions on acoustics, anatomy and physiology, sound perception, auditory disorders and the nature of hearing impairment, methods of measurement, screening, clinical assessment, and clinical management. The book includes 17 chapters, starting with Acoustics and Sound Measurement and concluding with Effects of Noise and Hearing Conservation. As with the prior editions, the text is highly relevant and conducive to learning, thanks to the input of a distinguished group of audiologists involved in clinical practice, research, teaching, and student supervision, along with insightful advice from recent audiology students.
- Co-authored by renowned clinician-scientists, educators, and Fellows of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and the American Academy of Audiology
- Extensively updated and expanded content encompasses current standards and clinical guidelines
- State-of-the-art hearing science, audiology, and related disciplines provide a firm foundation for evidence-based audiological best practices
- Clear and informative classroom-tested illustrations, figures, tables, explanations, and examples enhance understanding
This comprehensive introductory text is essential reading for undergraduate students of speech, language, and hearing and will also benefit first-level graduate students who need to learn or review fundamentals.
- Publisher : Thieme; 5th edition (December 6, 2022)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 590 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1684203988
- ISBN-13 : 978-1684203987