This practical, evidence-based resource is the first available guide for healthcare providers and mental health professionals on advising and counseling couples and individuals who are experiencing sexual issues directly related to conception efforts, pregnancy, and the postpartum period. Authored by a noted sex therapist, the book offers providers current, accurate information about issues that can affect sexual activity surrounding pregnancy as well as proven strategies for effective counseling.
Providing a helpful framework for assessment, treatment, and when to refer a client to another healthcare provider, the book examines conception- and pregnancy-related sexual dysfunctions that both men and women may encounter. Underscoring the importance of maintaining a strong relationship between couples, the book is filled with practical guidance for treating both cisgender couples and the LBGT population. Also included are helpful checklists and resources for patients that can be used immediately. Couple and marriage counselors, nurse midwives, women’s health nurses, and other professionals whose practice includes work with couples and childbirth concerns will find this book an unparalleled resource.
- Addresses common issues and questions women, men, and couples have regarding sex prior to, during, and after pregnancy
- Includes relevant information for both mental health professionals and healthcare providers in a variety of settings
- Discusses assessing and treating common sexual concerns including approaches to brief counseling
- Covers fertility issues, painful intercourse, intimacy problems, postpartum depression, reproductive loss, and traumatic labor and delivery
- Authored by a recognized sex therapist and educator
- Publisher:Springer Publishing Company; 1st edition (February 20, 2018)
- Paperback:198 pages
- eText ISBN: 9780826166654
- Item Weight:12 ounces
- Dimensions:5.9 x 0.7 x 8.9 inches